Monday, September 22, 2008

Yes We Can!



I think this is a phenomenal campaign ad. I'm not usually one for endorsements because I don't trust politicians, and I would hate to tell everyone to vote for one guy and then watch him nuke some village in Kandahar. Still, I can't help getting chills -- and a little misty-eyed -- when I watch this.

It's all in the execution: documentary-like footage of individuals left in the dark during the Bush years, who come together at the end of the ad in arenas and parks to join Obama, just as the sun begins to rise (again). And at the end it says, "You can change the world."

Bravo to whoever decided that the music would fit. It's an instrumental version of a song by The National called "Fake Empire." I had always simply thought the song was a little sad because of the lyrics ("It's hard to keep track of you falling through the sky / We're half-awake in a fake empire"). But it rolls along nicely, and adds a really positive momentum.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

R., thanks for sharing the video. The Obama campaign sent K. a button with a quote from Mahatma Gandhi:

"You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Amneris

"I Love you, Catmother!" said...

I feel like "Fake Empire" was a real dog whistle choice—something that lyrically is an exciting allusion to the past seven or so years of unilateral foreign policy in Washington (to those who know the song and agree, like liberal hipster kids).

Awesome video.

Anna Yanofsky said...

This is such a great spot. Be the change you want to see in a campaign ad.