Wednesday, August 22, 2007

"When You're Gone" by Avril Lavigne

So, when I said that I would still occasionally write about music, I didn't expect my next post to be about Avril Lavigne. But now that I think about it, she's been an big part of my summer.

"Girlfriend" got the party started back in June when Lil' Mama added some much needed...non-Avrilness. Now it's time for the one thing the Iraq War's been good for: a first-rate power ballad! (There have been a few, including Green Day's "Wake Me Up When September Ends.")

"When You're Gone" is shamefully addictive. Shameful because everything about Avril kind of is, but also because I can't imagine that it isn't the product of a marketing scheme: all those kids on Engaged & Underage need a wedding song, right?

Still, what's good is good. I'm just surprised at how right I was: despite lyrics that manage to be both generic and absurd, I knew the first time I heard it that it was (a) for weddings and (b) about the Iraq War. And the first 10 seconds of the video proved me right! Check it out here.

1 comment:

Yuval said...

Looks a bit like "September" but without the edge. that's Canada for you, it's the U.S. without Cajun sauce and the bomb.

Your blog is interesting and fun. I'll be happy to send you the photo of the Estonian beach and tell you more about it. Just send me an email (mine appears on my profile) and I'll reply with it.