Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Bergman, Antonioni, Snyder RIP

Wow, so celebrity deaths really do happen in threes. Weird. I know that Ingmar Bergman and Michelangelo Antonioni were influential directors, but the one I'll miss the most is Tom Snyder (hence the photo below -- prime real estate on my uber-exclusive blog!)

I didn't really enjoy The Seventh Seal or Blow Up, and Tom Snyder's the one who was actually in front of the camera, so I feel like I knew him a little bit better. Watching his interviews was like a big glass of warm milk before bedtime. So soothing and so unhip, without any of the self-conscious nerdiness you find today. And yet, in spite of all that, he could go toe-to-toe with Johnny Rotten in a way that Dick Cavett never could.

May his warm brown eyes be gazing up at St. Peter right now, or (if you believe in reincarnation) may he come back as a cricket...or humidifier...or any of the other things that help you go to sleep.

No comments: