Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Songs for the Weak

"Down in Mexico" by The Coasters
I have a like-hate relationship with Quentin Tarantino soundtracks. On the one hand, I always discover a couple of songs that I really enjoy. On the other, there's an immature show-off quality in his picks, and I have trouble hearing them without imagining the kind of violent, over-stylized scenes he used them in. This is from the soundtrack to Death Proof, his half of the double feature Grindhouse. The Coasters did that song "Yakety Yak," and the big surprise is that they're as much fun in the lower octaves as they are in the upper ones.
[Available on iTunes]

"Running Up That Hill" by Kate Bush
When I listen to this on my headphones, it's like a soundtrack to the world: everything moves in sync (even when it doesn't), and everything seems important, even that woman putting an envelope into the big blue mailbox...
[Available on iTunes]

"Absolutely Nothing" by Lily Allen
Lily Allen's the sweet girl down the block who'll cut your tongue out if you double-cross her -- but at least she'll do it with a smile. That's the way she's depicted in the press, which is true enough, but they're also ignoring her more vulnerable moments, like this song. Something terrible has happened (she doesn't say what), and the vile boyfriend adds insult to injury by trying to be nice -- he asks her how she feels. It's pretty easy to guess what she says from the title of the song, but I still can't figure out why it isn't a hit.
[Available on iTunes]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought there were going to be five weakly...I mean weekly songs.