Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Songs for the Weak

"Lawr A'r Ffrancod / Medley Caerfaddon" by John Morgan
The concertina is a wondrous instrument -- softer and more baroque-sounding than the accordion, but just as versatile. It survived the digital age and you can still hear it in bhangra dance tracks (one of my favorites: "Janj Mahi Ley Aya" by Baldip Jabble). This is a traditional Welsh instrumental from a CD that I found at the library. From the sound of things, Wales is a little more isolated (and a little less inebriated) than other Celtic cultures. I like to imagine this song playing as background music during a Renaissance celebration. Listen to a sample and imagine where you'd play it:

http://www.amazon.com/Rough-Guide-Music-Wales/dp/B00004U1GN/ref=sr_1_1/102-1143866-1323310?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1176307116&sr=1-1

"Upgrade U" by Beyonce (ft. Jay-Z)
Sometimes I think Beyonce is a figment of our collective imagination. Is she made of gold? God only knows.

"Put All Your Eggs in One Basket and
Then Watch That Basket!!" by Marnie Stern
Marnie Stern could have used her girlish voice to be a Cyndi Lauper impersonator, but she apparently decided instead to kick everyone's ass. Good for her. This song is completely ridiculous - she just sings one verse over and over again, like a 3-year-old who's trying to be as annoying as possible. And what the fuck is she saying anyway? I looked up the lyrics, and nowhere to be found was the one line I was sure I'd heard: "Dad is a wino, dad is a wino!" This probably doesn't make it sound like I enjoy the song, but I do. I really, really do.

"I Don't Sleep, I Dream" by REM
REM introduced me to punk rock. That's right - the same band that sings "Shiny Happy People" got me into 999 and The Voidoids. Monster is the only album of theirs that comes close to the genre, and it really only has two songs on it that are recognizably punk - the mile-a-minute "Star 69" and the ferocious "Circus Envy." Still, there's a tension throughout that I find appealing, like on this song. REM's lyrics are notoriously difficult to parse, but certain lines here allude to sex (one of the more obvious ones: "Am I good in bed?"). The song seems to be all about foreplay, and not just in the lyrics: it settles (brilliantly) for not having a climax.

3 comments:

Jordan said...

Man, you didn't put the triple-six song I sent you in here ...

Anna said...

hul, you are hitting your stride...Beyonce as "a collective figment of our imagination"? Nail-on-the-head. Can you post links or clips of the songs? That would be glorious.

Cerulean said...

I like that Marnie Stern called her album after the Marcel Duchamp shovel.