Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Songs for the Weak

"Eppure Pretendevi di Essere Chiamata Amore" by Fabrizio Moro
Italian powerballads are my favorite kind of world music. Seriously, though, if this song were in English, it'd be a hit on top 40 radio. A less clunky title might also help: it means "And you claimed to be called love." One thing you learn from exploring other countries' iTunes is that pop stars are pretty ridiculous no matter where you go, which I find kind of comforting.

[Available on iTunes]

"Just to See You Smile (Orchestral Mix)" by Spaceman 3
Usually I'm not into slow, psychedelic music, but this song is like a dream come true. The spacey production, the gentle pitter-patter of the drums: it's hard to believe that something so peaceful came from a band known for its infighting. Maybe the title of the band's first compilation can give us a clue. It was called " Taking Drugs to Make Music to Take Drugs To."
[Available on iTunes]


"One Big Love" by Patty Griffin
She's best known for heartrending songs like "Useless Desires," but this one makes me excited about the summer. I can see myself blasting it while cruising down JFK (the parkway near my house). Maybe I'm heading to the mall -- hopefully the beach, though.
[Available on iTunes]


"My Chrome" by Killer Mike
Killer Mike is that guy who guests on other people's (more famous) songs -- Chamillionaire's "Southern Takeover," Bone Crusher's "Never Scared" -- but this song is better than either of those. He always sounds a little indignant, whether he's bitching about the state of the world ("That's Life") or bragging about driving under the influence (like in this song). Hard to listen to, but even harder to turn off.

[Available on iTunes]

2 comments:

Cerulean said...

I can see what you mean about "One Big Love." That's why I got it!

Alex said...

Didn't we live with Killer Mike? Or, at least, a Killer Mike?